Backyard weddings are perfect for couples who want to add charm and nostalgia to a wedding day. And with the right planning, they also provide a great option for couples who are on a smaller budget but still want a dream wedding.
Before we get into the details of this backyard wedding let’s go over some of the pros and cons of having a backyard wedding!
- Can be less expensive than a typical venue *please note that the cost will depend on a few key items like power and electrical, parking, and restrooms. I’ll cover more of this below.
- Dates are flexible. The only thing you’ll need to schedule around are your vendors like photographer, rentals, etc.
- Sentimental and nostalgic. Having photographs in the bedroom where you grew up is something quite special.
- Can also be more expensive than a typical wedding. Depending on what your design wants are, you may need to hire more vendors, additional power in order to accommodate, whereas a venue will have your basic essentials.
- There is a lot more planning that goes into a large backyard wedding. It can be overwhelming for someone who has never planned a wedding before. Our team offers non-traditional and private property planning to alleviate any stress. Contact us if you’re interested in planning your backyard wedding!
- The weather can really make or break a backyard wedding. If it rains before or of course on the wedding day, there may not be a plan B. There could be flooding or mud to navigate around.
Here are a few things most people tend to forget when planning a backyard wedding:
- Power and Electrical
- Parking and/or guest shuttles
- Trash and Clean up
Find my Full Guide to Private Property Weddings Here
For Witt and V’s backyard wedding we covered all of our bases and we made sure to obtain the proper permits, insurances and notified their neighbors of the event that would take place beforehand.
The yard was mowed a few days before. We didn’t want to grass to be too short yet we wanted enough time to pass so the loose cut grass could blow away.
Witt and V’s backyard wedding took place at Witt’s family home in Louisville KY. The property was large enough for the ceremony site, cocktail hour on their patio and a reception tent for about 125 guests.
The wedding took place on Saturday and load in began on Wednesday. I was praying for good weather for the weekend since the wedding design relied on a rainless day!
If there was going to be rain on their wedding day I would have suggested to install the tent prior to the rain and enclose it to keep the ground in the tent as dry as possible as well as place tarps on the ground to where the ceremony and main walking paths were going to be. Luckily we didn’t have to worry about this.
Witt was able to get ready in her childhood home. Family photos hung on patterned wallpaper was her backdrop for her sweet wedding photos.
For the backyard wedding layout we opted for an outdoor ceremony that had wooden cross back chairs with white cushions facing the back of the yard where the floral arch stood.
Guests (and vendors) entered through a side gate which was perfect so everyone didn’t have to walk through their home. Guests stayed at a hotel nearby and we set up a shuttle that could transport all guests to this backyard wedding.
The end of the backyard has tall green trees and bushes, which was a perfect backdrop for the ceremony.
Cocktail hour took place on their backyard patio and overflowed into the grassy lawn near the entrance of the reception tent.
There were cocktail tables placed, as well as a beautiful stone fireplace, outdoor pergola and built in benches for seating.
The reception took place in a large white event tent.
A large decorative seating chart was placed at the entrance of the tent to help escort guests to their seats.
There were large kings tables set with floral centerpieces, white linen and beautiful white and silver china. There was a dancefloor in, as well as iron chandeliers that were covered in greenery.
The design and wedding day came together so beautifully! It was like something straight out of your favorite romantic comedy movie!
Thank you to all of the vendors who worked so hard on this wedding with us!
Photography: Claire Marie and Co. | Event Design, Planning and Coordination: Christina Burton Events | Rentals: Bryants Rent All and Canvas Event Furniture | Lighting and Tent: Pizzazzle Events | Cake: Sugar Woods Bakery | Catering and Bar: Wiltshire Pantry | Ceremony Music: Highland Chamber Players | Floral: Zachary Brady Designs | Hair: Laura Conrad | Makeup: Sloan Winters | Officiant: Jack Phillips | DJ: Kentucky Pro DJ | Guest Transportation: Miller Transportation | Linen: BBJ La Tavola | Restroom Trailer: Moon Portable Restrooms
leave a comment